20-08-2012

I bought a record once...

This is about one of the first CDs I ever bought.

At The Drive-In - Acrobatic Tenement

1. Star Slight
2. Schaffino
3. Embroglio
4. Initiation
5. Communication Drive-In
6. Skips On The Record
7. Paid Vacation Time
8. Ticklish
9. Blue Tag
10. Coating Of Arms
11. Porfirio Diaz


I bought this on a trip to Bruges  when I was about 15 I think. Me and some online friends were on a day out there and since most of us were into music heavily we stopped at the Bilbo store (cfr. the post on MTX's Yesterday Rules). I got into At The Drive-In through the same message board as the one where I met the people I was hanging out with. So when I saw one of their records in the stacks, I bought it with my pocket money. The other record I bought there was Rancid's "And Out Come The Wolves". Anyway, I fell in love with At The Drive-In and I've continued to love them. I got their other records and surely they became one of my favourite bands ever. Of course, they had broken up so that was a bummer. I love Sparta and The Mars Volta too but those bands are just something different.
So after years of spinning this record, loving the songs, getting shivers during the intro to Embroglio, rocking out to all the tracks, wondering what their lyrics mean or even hint at, they reunite. And I'm like FUCK YEAH. So I was checking out their dates. Some USA, Spain, and UK. And I was like "I'm gonna go to the UK". So I bought tickets to Reading Fest and now, full circle-ish, I'm gonna go and see At The Drive-In perform a festival show in about 5 days. Of course, only later on I founf out they're also doing a club show in London two days after the Fest which I could've easily attended but sadly my traintickets were booked already and it would've cost too much. Nonetheless I'm finally going to see the band I've adored since I was 15 years old, the band who changed the notion of punk music for me and primarily, according to Youtube, one of the best live bands ever. Rather siked.

Fun fact: This record was released on Fearless and V2 Records International. Now, coincidentally I'm going to do my internship for school at the Benelux section of V2 records. Also this is probably the only record of the label that I physically own.

Anyway, just wanted to say I'm going to Reading fest and I'm gonna see AT THE DRIVE-IN perform. Fuck your life.

Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten