10-09-2011

Gimme the Gamits!

Thursday night show in Hasselt. The bar called Carpe Diem has been having quite a lot of good shows lately and have scheduled quite a lot of good shows in the future.
Yesterday it was The Gamits and Goodbye Fairbanks who stopped by on their tour for a show to play for 3 guys and a horse's head (Dutchism).

The Gamits have apparently been a band since 1995 or somthing, which is... whoa. Cool! I ha heard of them alright, and I saw they were on a European tour so I decided to check it out. So just this week I started listening to them and they are good! The funny thing is, on their Antidote album he sounds like your average pop punk singer, and then on this Parts album (which is, I think, their latest, cause it was the only one for sale at the show) the singer sounds an awful lot like the guy from One Man Army/Dead To Me. Really weird, but it's all really good stuff and I'm actually really excited about this band.
So I was siked for their show for sure. Because they've been around for quite a while they're pretty aged dudes but very young at heart and such. Still kicking it, y'know? They played a bitchin' set of songs I recognised and knew halfway. Some songs I could sing along to, which was fun. Their lyrics aren't what you would expect, they're pretty intelligent actually. Kinda Dopamines-like songtexts, but less wit and expensive words, more straight-forward and clever.
They're a bit to the poppy side but damn can they rock hard and fast! I think the main reason I'm so into it is because they bring pop punk but it's not the "same old, same old". It's refreshing and such. Heartfelt. And of course - and this has become a meaningless phrase as I use it for almost every band - so damn catchy.

I caught the first song of Goodbye Fairbanks' show but had to leave to catch my train instead. It was alright, but yeah. The bass player from the Gamits (who's the "new guy") told me "they're friends, but I don't really like their music". So I don't think I really missed out on much. Couldn't know though, I generally tend to like everything someway somehow.

Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten